Monday, April 21, 2008

Slump

Is it that time of year or what? I have read at least 4 other blog entries on the site about slumps. I have attributed mine to sick kids, being trapped in the house, allergies, you name it! I know I used to love this running thing. I used to talk about it all the time. So much so my husband keeps telling me when the boys are in school I should work at a running store so he doesn't have to hear about it all the time! I know that feeling will come back....I just hope it happens soon. I miss the satisfaction of a good run. I am trying not to be too neurotic about my training plan and listen to my body if it is telling me to take a break, but it's hard. Maybe I am having a mini identity crisis....if I don't love running, what defines me? (That sounds like such cheese, sorry!!!)

When I had kids 4+ years ago I began defining myself completely as a mother to my children, I lost something when I did that. About 3 years ago when I started running it was life changing to define myself as a runner and not a mother. I think the rub comes when I just give myself that one label (whether it is mother or runner). So I guess the hard work it using this slump to re-prioritize and re-define. Of course running is part of that, but I know it isn't the whole....

As a side note, I have to publicly apologize to Angie for the pity party I threw for myself while I was on the phone with her last week. Seriously, she just had a baby and I was crying about feeling fat and not getting enough sleep! Making me laugh right now...

No comments: